Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Thoughts on HTPC's

I've been using a couple of Momitsu V880N network DVD players, to watch streamed video, and I've been generally very pleased with the results. However I occasionally get issues with some video material, and the interface is clunky, so I decided to build myself an HTPC.

There were a few things that concerned me about the HTPC when I built it, noise was the primary concern followed by form factor. I went out of my way ordering passively cooled parts where possible, and ended up selecting a fullsized case to save having to worry about cards fitting. In the end noise was a none issue, the loudest thing in the case is its primary harddrive (an 80gb WD raptor I had lying around), and the size isn't too bad, although I'd prefer it if the case was not so deep.

I put the machine together 6 or 7 weeks ago now, and I haven't touched the Momitsu since. I'm using Windows Media Center as my front end and I have to say it just works. For the most part it's an excellent experience, it feels like a piece of CE gear rather than a PC.

My only gripes are with the TV support, having seen MS' attempts at TIVO functionality on set top boxes I wasn't expecting very much, but I have to say the TIVO side of MCE is excellent. What isn't is the inability to watch all my cable channels, OK so this isn't exactly MS' fault, the cable box is just a pain in the ass. Having said that they could do better, MCE has no QAM support, even for the unencrypted channels.

I live in a valley, I get no OTA HDTV reception (actually I can get one channel), I have a QAM tuner card, and I can get HD versions of ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX unencrypted over cable. I can watch them in the software supplied by the board vendor, just not in media center.

Vista is supposed to fix this with support for cable cards, but the latest on that rumor is that you will not be able to buy cable card adapters for PC's, only buy approved PC's with cable card slots.

It's a pity that the cable or satellite guys can't get it sorted out with MS or whoever. I believe that a properly packaged media center device has a real market, but not while they are crippled and tied to cable boxs.