Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thoughts On The Amazon Kindle.
I bought my Kindle abut 12 months ago, it took a further 3 months to arrive and the first one lasted about 24 hours before it died. Amazon dealt with the failure as well as anyone could expect, they cross shipped a replacement which I received inside a week.
Since then I've bought a second unit which I gave to my girlfriend as a gift.

I've read perhaps 20 books on the device, and while it has its faults, I think it really succeeds at what it sets out to do.

It succeeds over other E-Readers for me because it manages to be a standalone device, I have no need to plug it into my computer. When I finish a book I can have another ready to read inside 60 seconds.

When I bought the first one I was really not convinced that I'd want to read on any device that wasn't paper and ink. But I really like the e-ink display, and I don't really miss the more traditional book form factor the way I thought I would.

The Kindles form factor is OK although there is a tendency to knock the large Next/Prev page buttons. I've personally found that using the device without it's book like cover minimizes this, although my girl friend still uses hers in the cover so your mileage may vary. I use the keyboard only when I'm buying a new book, but it's nice to have. The scroll wheel almost works, the clicks could be closer together for my tastes and it doesn't have great feel.

The interface is functional at best and the store interface is poorly thought out. It's fine if you know the name of the book or the author, but the store is essentially amazons web page on the device and e-ink displays (at least currently) are the wrong place to try and page through web pages looking for a book.

The book selection isn't bad, better if your reading more recently published material. Most recently I've been reading a lot of SciFi and Fantasy novels, and you run into issues where a series is only partly available, or an a particular isn't represented at all. A couple of Iain M Banks books were just added to the store, "Look To Winward" is the poorest E-Book conversion I have ever seen, with rampant obvious OCR issues. Thankfully it seems to be he exception and the only book I've read on the Kindle where the errors were even noticeable.

At this point I couldn't imagine buying fiction in paper form. I'll pick up a couple of reference books at some point, but I can't imagine they would be particularly good since access to the material is usually none linear and there is no quick way to leaf through material on the e-ink display.